Thursday, February 12, 2009

Results of Teaching

Thank you, Natalee, for your thoughts on posting. I wanted to write a little of what I have noticed lately about teaching. The stake youth leaders are preparing the stake youth council to teach in the ward conference hour of the conferences. In all our teaching and our activities we need to have a goal in mind. The goal of the auxiliaries, as I understand it, is to help bring others to Christ. I have recently noticed some examples in the scriptures.
First, President Ostergar asked stake leaders to teach at the last stake council meeting Sunday. He noted the example of Enos’ prayer as the result of teaching: “. . . he taught me in his language, and also in the nurture and admonition of the Lord—and blessed be the name of my God for it--. . . and the words which I had often heard my father speak concerning eternal life, and the joy of the saints, sunk deep into my heart. . . (Enos 1, 3).” Because of the teaching of his father, Jacob (and I’m sure his mother too), Enos was eager to pray on his own.
Second, Nephi was “taught of goodly parents (1 Ne 1:1)” and went to seek on his own to know the truth of his father’s words and vision. “. . . after I had desired to know the things that my father had seen, and believing that the Lord was able to make them known unto me, as I sat pondering in mine heart I was caught away in the Spirit of the Lord, . . (1 Ne 11:1).”
The third and final example for now is the teaching of Mosiah. King Benjamin, along with prophets, had “labored with all the might of his body and the faculty of his whole soul” to establish peace in the land (WoM 1:18).” Benjamin had three sons and he “caused that they should be taught in all the language of his fathers, that thereby they might become men of understanding; and that they might know concerning the prophecies which had been spoken by the mouths of their father, which were delivered them by the hand of the Lord (Mosiah 1: 2-5).” He taught them the importance of records in understanding the ways of God and he bore his testimony to them. He taught them to search the scriptures and to keep the commandments of God. King Benjamin taught “many more things” to his sons but they are not included (Mosiah 1:5-8).

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this insight on teaching. What a great topic to be studying. I'm so sad it's taken me this long to get to the blog. I don't know why address isn't working. We sure Love you and I love all my chats with you.

    ReplyDelete